OUR HISTORY: 7 Important Facts About The Late Asantehemaa You Must Know
The late Asantehemaa, Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II, is set for burial next week.
Here are seven facts about the mother of the reigning Asantehene that you may not have known:
1. She was born in 1905, thus 4 years after the War of the Golden Stool in 1900 which was led by the Ejisuhemaa Nana Yaa Asantewaa and lived to be 111years .
2. She was named Afia Kobi at birth after the former Asante Queenmother Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem I, and then again chose the stool name Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II when she ascended the throne in 1977.
3. Her father was Kwadwo Afodo) from Kwabre Achiase; who was also the son of former Asantehene Mensah Bonsu.
4. She was a trader who dealt in traditional cloth at the central market before she became the queen.
5. She got married twice, the first to Opanyin Kofi Fofie with whom she had 3 children; two females and one male. The children were: Nana Konadu(Alive), Nana Ama Serwaa(Dead), and Nana Poku(Dead).
6. Her second marriage was to Nana Boakye Dankwa of Kantinkyire, with whom she had two children; Barima Prempeh(Dead) and Barima Kwaku Dua ( Present Asantehene)
7. She worked with two Kings during her reign, Otumfuo Opoku Ware II and Otumfuo Osei Tutu II(who is her biological son).
Meanwhile the planning committee for the burial has said that no human sacrifice will be involved.